Palomar Mountain Home
Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Home     Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Minutes Page

Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Minutes, 11/14/1998 Board Meeting minutes

Minutes of the Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Meeting

November 14, 1998

Board Members Present:

Terri Bailey, Thomas Burton, Karl Bauer (alternate), Robert Carlyle, Russ Day, Bruce Graves, Jack Norvall, George Ravenscroft, Robert Thicksten.

The PMPO Board meeting was convened 10:10 A.M. November 14, 1998.

The minutes of the August 1, 1998, meeting were distributed and approved.


Dual Government Survey Problem

The PMPO's position remains that the entire Section 14 be surveyed to the original Ward 1894 survey, as recorded in num early assessors maps and as corresponding to long-estab lines of occupation. Jack Norvall discussed his field research locating survey points, and introduced David James, Chair of the Forest Preservation Society of Southern California. Mr. James met August 13 in Sacramento with U. S. Forest Service (USFS) and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) officials. USFS and BLM sent Mr. Jack Rabedew, the Bureau's Protest and Appeal Specialist, to troubleshoot the appeal or protest on this issue. The USFS has essentially been taken out of the argument by BLM's letter of October 21, 1998, to Jack Norvall explaining the BLM view that the $1/4$ corner between Sections 14 and 15 was correctly declared ``lost'' in 1985 and ``subsequently reestablished ... at a position a proportionate distance between the two acknowledged corners at either end of the section line.'' Mr. James analyzed the letter on all of its points to show the PMPO where the issue currently stands. Some of the original patents specify the number of acres contained within the parcel; these parcels must also contain the same number of acres currently. Only the parcels where the patent is unspecific can be affected by any subsequent survey dispute. There is strong argument that proper subdivision exists within Section 14 and has been recognized for a long time with San Diego County.

Mr. James said the FPS and PMPO will file a formal protest. In the October 21 letter, BLM has avoided mention of the entrymen's rights issue, for what reason is not known. It remains for the FPS/PMPO to raise that issue, and its importance. Mr. James suggests funds be spent on a well-crafted letter of position for the appeal we wish to make, using good law resources, because this will be our ultimate position. We will have only one chance at this issue and it should be done very well. He suggests setting up informal meetings with officials to sound them out on their positions. Mr. James will research and report back to PMPO with a letter for our use in the protest.

The Board authorized a PMPO committee of Bruce Graves, Jack Norvall, and George Ravenscroft to spend $2,000 on survey information gathering. George noted that Steve Scott, by virtue of Keith Oldham, has a lot of information about surveys, monuments, and markers. Bruce Graves will contact Steve Scott to obtain.


Steve Bailey Subdivision.

Bob Thicksten reported that someone (Steve Purcell) was building on an adjoining parcel and Bob feels a determination needs to be made as to its legality. George Ravenscroft noted additionally grading and utility work. The Board authorized Bob Thicksten to write a letter of inquiry to the County Department of Planning and Land Use regarding the issue.

Next Meetings:

The next scheduled board meetings are February 20 and April 10, 1999. It was noted that Easter is April 4, 1999.

The meeting was adjourned at 11:41 A.M.

Notes by Russ Day; edited by Michael E. Pique, Secretary.

Palomar Mountain home,
Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Home     Palomar Mountain Planning Organization Minutes Page